Department of General Sociology
- dr hab. Adam Mrozowicki, prof. UWr (the head of the department)
- dr hab. Zdzisław Morawski, prof. UWr (professor emeritus)
- dr hab. Zdzisław Zagórski, prof. UWr (professor emeritus)
- dr Piotr Pieńkowski
- dr Mateusz Karolak
- mgr Bartłomiej Grafik
- mgr Stanisław Kamykowski
- mgr Szymon Pilch
History of the Department
The Department of General Sociology was founded as a result of creation of the Institute of Sociology at the University of Wroclaw (1988). Earlier, since 1945, there was the Chair and then the Department of Sociology at the Faculty of History and Philosophy, University of Wroclaw. In the first postwar years, research work was organised by prof. Paweł Rybicki (Jagiellonian University) and his assistant (in the subsequent years, professor), Irena Turnau (University of Lodz). The result of research work during "pioneer years" was the fundamental monograph "Studies on the structure of the population of Polish Wrocław (I. Turnau; Institute for Western Affairs, Poznań, 1960). The continuation of this project (in the form of the research on the social structure of Wrocław and Lower Silesia), became a collective work led by prof. Zdzisław Zagórski.
For many years, the Department was the basis for teaching and research in the organisational structure of Institute of Sociology. The members of Department of General Sociology, as they acquired habilitation and professorship, created other Departments of the Institute of Sociology (such as the Department of the Sociology of Borderlands, the Department of the Sociology of Dispositional Groups), or, if needed, joined other Departments and Institutes of the Faculty of Social Sciences or another universities.
Main researches topics:
Research of the Department of General Sociology covers the areas of civilisations, large structures and social systems, contemporary social processes (including globalisation, civilisational processes, system (dis)integration, post-communism transition and regionalisation), legal determinants of social structures, sociology of (in)security and risk, sociology of health and medicine, sociology of work and organisation, sociology of politics and sociology of physical culture, as well as the relationships between dominant cultures and subcultures and the work experiences of workers in the business process outsourcing centres.
Academic and scientific events
- Seminar "Institutions, structures and people. Jubilee seminar for Prof. Zdzisław Morawski", 18.10.2018, Wrocław
- Seminar "Social science challenges for contemporary Poland. Jubilee seminar for Prof. Zdzisław Zagórski", 7.10.2016.
- International conference "Social boundaries of work. Przemiany w sferze pracy w XXI wiecznym kapitalizmie.”, 14-15.11.2014 (Wrocław), 12-13.11.2015 (Zielona Góra)
- Series of conferences "Civilisations in sociological perspective" Wrocław, 12-13.12.2011, 12-13.12.2012, 12-13.12.2013
- International conference: “Contemporary trade union representation of workers in Central and Eastern Europe: barriers, opportunities and challenges”, Wrocław 11-12.10.2012
- International conference: “Negotiating capitalism in Central and Eastern Europe? Chances and barriers to trade union renewal in a comparative perspective”, Wrocław 4.05.2011
- International conference: “Social Agency. Theoretical and Methodological Challenges of the 21st Century Humanist Sociology”, Wrocław, 20-22.10.2010
Members of the Department of General Sociology regularly cooperate and participate in international conferences with Centrum voor Sociologisch Onderzoek (prof. Valeria Puglignano), Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Belgium), University of Strathclyde (Business School, prof. Paul Stewart - Szkocja), Universität Leipzig (Germany); they are also involved in international educational programmes (Master Erasmus Mundus MITRA, Master in Sociology, Specialty Intercultural Mediation, FP7 ITN Changing Employment). They also cooperate at the national level with the Catholic University of Lublin and Warsaw School of Economics.