Department of Consumer Behaviour
- prof. dr hab. Wanda Patrzałek (kierownik zakładu)
- dr Michał Cebula
- dr Aleksandra Perchla-Włosik
- dr Joanna Wardzała
History of the Department
Department of Consumer Behaviour was established in 2000 within the framework of the Institute of Sociology at the University of Wroclaw at the initiative of prof. dr. Wanda Patrzałek acting from its begining to the present time as the Head of Department. The need for the establishment of the Department was related to the research on the contemporary consumer society as a result of transformation in Poland, but also resulted from science and business cooperation in the field transacted by market research release and Press Research conducted for newspaper publishers in Poland, Germany and the UK. Profile of the Department is an interdisciplinary staff next to sociology also present other disciplines such as economics, sociology, law and administration. Department cooperates with the Polish Society of Social Communication in the section of Advertising, whose founder and president since its creation in 2007 until now is a professor. dr. Wanda Patrzałek. Department realized internal grants, such as: Polish managers. Sociological profiles and grants in the context of Higher Education and the National Science Centre which included: Information activities household members and his economic behavior, symbolic dimension of consumption in contemporary culture in the light of the city residents.
Prof. dr. W. Patrzałek is an expert in competitions NCN in the allocation of funds for research projects, as well as manager of projects (FGI method for press releases and advertising copy testing, market surveys, monitoring sales of selected newspapers, etc.) on behalf of press companies Phoenix Press Media, Die Verlagsgruppe Jurg Marquard, Bauer, GE Publishing Limited in 1996-2006 and BPV Poland from 2012 to the present.
Head of Department was the founder of Research Firms' Profile - Market "engaged in the market research and public opinion mainly for press companies in Poland and Europe in the years 1996-2006.
The basic areas of research of the Department of Consumer Behaviors include: the behavior of market actors: especially households and businesses, social communication and its barriers in the behavior of consumers, businesses and institutions, advertising message as a social and sociology of consumption.
From 2016/2017 on the initiative of the Department of Consmer Behaviour the Institute of Sociology has created a new direction at the level of undergraduate sociology economic sociologists educating the spheres of business, administration and local government institutions.
Under the supervision of dr hab. W. Patrzałek awards in national competitions in 2014, the best student in the field of humanities and social sciences (ie. Nobel student) and at the Faculty of Social Sciences in 2009. -I place, 2010- Second place, 2016 -II place. Dissertations under the supervision of the head of the Department have been repeatedly highlighted in 2010.2011, 2012.
Department publishes numerous scientific publications in scoring scientific journals such as Scientific Papers of the University of Economics, Scientific Bulletin of the University of Szczecin, Marketing and Market, Work Research at the University of Szczecin, Marketing and Management.
The Department conducts interdisciplinary teaching at the Institute of Sociology in the range of subjects such as: microeconomics, macroeconomics, theory of enterprise, consumer behavior. the behavior of market actors, sociology of consumption, sociology market, methods and techniques of market research, family and guardianship law, encyclopedia law, intellectual property law. For graduale studies tere is specialization in the field of market research, which every year enjoys great success among students, as well as numerous seminars bachelors and masters in sociology and social work.
Head of Department, prof. dr. Wanda Patrzałek and Dr. Aleksandra Perchla-Włosik and Dr. Joanna Wardzała have been awarded the Medal of the National Education Commission.
Main research topics
- Communication within the household and the exchange of information between household members,
- New trends in consumption, such that: deconsumpction, eco consumption, prosumption and virtualization of consumption,
- Actors' behavior in the conditions of globalization of markets, households, companies, institutions,
- Conditions in the sphere of cultural consumption and cultural factors determining consumption in the system: the values, norms and cultural patterns,
- Advertising as social communication,
- Symbolic dimension of consumption, consumer tastes and practices in relation to the social structure and the role of social capital and social networks in the area of consumption patterns and participation in culture,
- The study of young consumers' preferences and ways of communication and self-presentation in the context of visual sociology,
- Research related to the functioning of the fashion market in relation to the problems of sociology and fashion marketing,
- Research system axio-normative Polish society against the background of global changes and the creation of a network of societies,
- The prestigious nature of the consumption of goods and services,
- New ways of research of consumer behavior - qualitative research, neuromarketing research, triangulation of quantitative and qualitative research.
- Research awareness and legal culture of consumers in different age groups as well as legal education of youth and adults in the field of consumer rights through new media.
- Research enterprises and entrepreneurs in the context of organizational behavior
Academic and scientific events
- The organization of regular interdisciplinary conferences
- issues of contemporary consumption in a changing social environment and in terms of their conditions of communication.
- Co-organization of regular meetings, in collaboration with the Higher School of Banking in Wroclaw devoted to issues of the household as an object of economic research.
- The organization of regular meetings “ section advertisement” in the conference and congresses of Polish Communication Association.
- Eastern Europe Studies at Warsaw University cooperation in the Scholarship Program of the Government R.P. them. Konstanty Kalinowski for scholars from Belarus prof.Patrzałek as tutor scholars from Eastern Europe in 2005-2007 to the present.
- University of Leipzig in a project devoted to the transformation of the cities of Wroclaw and Leipzig in terms of economic structure, changes in productivity, etc.
- Cooperation with the Institute for Market, Consumption and Business Situation (IBRiKK) in Warsaw prof. dr. W. Patrzałek as a reviewer issued by IBRIKK publications and participant in research seminars.
- Cooperation with the University of Szczecin prof. W. Patrzałek as a reviewer of publications issued under study Sociologica.
- Cooperation with the University of Economics in Wroclaw as a reviewer electronic publications (prof. Patrzałek) issued in the framework of Academic Research, Bulletin of Science, Social Sciences, Economics and Society, Central European Jurnal of Communication, doctorates in competitions PTKS.
- Cyclic scientific cooperation with the University of Szczecin at the International Conference on the Future of Marketing and published in the Scientific Works of the University of Szczecin and magazines Marketing and Management.
- Cooperation with the University of Economics in Wroclaw under the "Children's Economic University".